Thursday 17 January 2013

SWT LOW WATER COUNT

SWT Coordinated Estuaries Count

It was the January Stour and Orwell Low Water Count today, which is organised by the Suffolk Wildlife Trust.

It was the coldest night of the winter with temperatures down to -10. Predicted low water was for 0900 hours so that meant we had to be at our sections by 0800 hours. I was well wrapped up but I was cold!

I have only received a few records so far and they include 1,000 Knot, 400 Oystercatchers, 183 Wigeon and 35 Pintail in front of Pipers Vale. There was also 156 Gadwall and 116 Avocet at Loom Pit Lake.

The waterbirds have it tough during these harsh winter days. On my patch I was the only person out, except for 27 dogs, which were all running free (no doggy bags), one man had 8 dogs, two women treated the mudflats like a play ground for their dogs. I had a phone call from one of my counters to say he could not count, as the gamekeeper would not give him access to shore. The keeper did not want the ducks disturbed before they shot them.

Our wildlife and places suffer in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment