Monday 11 April 2011

Trimley update

As I approached the reserve, before dawn, I saw my first (Trimley) Badger running along the bridleway.  I was able to catch and ring a few migrants before my volunteers arrived; 2 Blackcap, 1 Reed Warbler, 3 Sedge Warbler, 2 Linnet and I retrapped a Jay.

Noteworthy birds on the reserve today included Wheatear, Yellow Wagtail, 1 pair of Garganey and an OSPREY, which I missed.

The first Green-veined Whites and Speckled Wood butterflies for the year were on the wing.
The tree guard pile is growing

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mick,you mentioned that an osprey had been seen on 11 April. The large bird of prey that I saw seemed to have dark undersides to its very broad wings. That is why I thought it could have been a white tailed eagle. Might there have been both an osprey and an eagle in the area on Monday, or do you think my sighting was more likely to have been the osprey? Pretty exciting whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul
    The Osprey was seen at Trimley at around 1200 hrs and then at 1230 hrs on the Deben (could have been different birds). There has been no observations now for a week or so of the White-tailed Eagle in Suffolk(the eagle has gone from Norfolk now). Hence I suggested that you probably had an Osprey, hope I am wrong and that someone spots an eagle tomorrow, preferably at Trimley.

    ReplyDelete